Saturday, October 29, 2016

A Meagre Offering







Hello everyone.  I know it's been yet another record absence from blogging, but it's been a long year, and blogging about a pair of socks might not seem like a very big accomplishment, but it is - truly.  I feel I've spent the majority of this year sleeping, or perhaps sleep-walking through my life.

It's been a very busy time, chock-full of very bad and very good.  The very bad, we lost my Dad in April.



He was a lovely person, very patient and loyal, and always fixing things, leaving the world a better place in small ways.  He will be missed.

In September we lost our little bunny, Pip.





The opposite of Dad, this little bunny was a vicious creature.  We suffered through many bites and scratches in the 13 years he lived with us, and though I certainly won't miss that, his absence is being felt.

But there's also been very good.  In June, Nigel and I went down to Minneapolis to see The Cure in concert.


 This was good fun, and, as we were staying at the same hotel as the band, I got to chat with Roger O'Donnell on the elevator (hey, check that link out, it's his birthday today!)

Also very good, Nigel bought himself tickets to Wimbledon, so I tagged along with him to England and met up with my Aunt and Uncle.


They are delightful people and we spent a lovely day wandering through antique shops in Hastings.

...on to the socks.




A simple sock pattern from Regia, using Regia Zoofari yarn, a kooky little yarn that knits up into animal prints.  These are the tiger stripes.  I added a little solid black at the heel and toe, and a smidge along the cuff.  Rrraawr!



So, in short, the good was wonderful and the bad was awful and the socks are tiger-stripe, and it's left this entire year feeling like some strange dream...and so...


Let's watch The Cure (circa 1989) sing us a Lullaby while I try to shake myself out of dreamland.







4 comments:

Jane said...

the socks worked up exceedingly well! The touch of black at the heels really makes it.

Grandmother said...

We were in Hastings several years ago - an interesting fact is that Archie Belaney who went on to become
Grey Owl was born near Hastings. We didn't go to Hastings because of that (!), we went to visit Battle i.e. site of the battle of Hastings

I love the socks.






Grandmother said...

I clicked before signing ---Jean!

Howard Breitbart said...

Hello! I know this is an old post, but this was the only round-about way I could find to contact you! I found your profile through Ancestry, where I'm only a guest member so it wouldn't let me contact you.

I'm related to the Schlansky's, which are part of your Robinson family tree! I'd definitely love to get in touch & share info, see how two of my ancestors married into the Robinson family - Dora marrying Samuel Schlansky, and Rose marrying Peter (Pinkert) Schlansky.

If you're interested in getting in touch & sharing info, the best way is at howitser@optonline.net

Hope all is well, and hope to hear from you!

Howard