Monday, August 5, 2013
Beauty, a Beast and an Alien
Pretty hydrangeas and baby's breath from the garden. The hydrangeas have been particularly lovely this year, though it's been a lot of work keeping them hydrated on the very hot days. In early July I was watering them twice a day, both times soaking them with the garden hose. It made a difference though, right after the wedding they opened into beautiful shades of pink and blue.
Off the needles recently was a friend for Barnacle Bill the Pirate from this post, her name is Lorelei the Mermaid and she's terrible. She's from an Alan Dart pattern, the same as Bill, but she didn't turn out anyway near as well (not the designer's fault, by the way).
I realised during construction of her that I didn't have enough flesh-toned yarn to finish her off (she has more skin showing than most of Dart's patterns). Instead of heading out to a reputable yarn store, I foolishly headed over to Michael's. Now, Michael's is fine for lots of things; pencil crayons, stickers, silk flowers..., but not yarn.
I had been hoping to find something in a DK weight, preferably in a wool or wool blend, but there was nothing. I ended up buying a DK cotton, specifically produced for making dishcloths - Bah! She's all lumpy and has a distinct, anti-bacterial soap stink - Bah, twice!
And look at her fingers... they're like big sausages! I'm going to have to re-do her, she's just beastly!
Also off the needles (very recently), is a bit of wall art.
Ian now has his very own alien autopsy for his bedroom wall:
I'm very pleased with how this turned out. He's made from scraps of DK weight yarn from the pattern by Emily Stoneking. That link takes you to her etsy shop where you can buy patterns, kits and finished objects. If you've been paying attention over the years, you'll remember that I made the same designer's dissected frog for my niece, Thea, back in 2010 - see here.
Perhaps I should take some inspiration and give my mermaid a bit of dissection.