Wednesday, June 13, 2012

New, New, New





Check out what's new in my life. 

That's right, my brand new Cube.  Isn't it adorable?

I ordered it at the beginning of May, and it finally arrived a week and a half ago - I would have shown it off earlier, but it was too, too rainy.

I special ordered the fancy custom grille option for the front - checkers!  And I love that instead of a trunk it has a cupboard.  How adorable is that?

Absolutely adorable.  I'm enjoying my new toy very much, I haven't named him yet, but names like Quebert have been tossed around, as well as Herman (as in Munster - because of the shape of his brow).  I'm open to suggestions.

On, off and around the needles of late:

a scarf called Slanted and Enchanted, named for an album by Pavement, one of Nigel's favourite bands (not one of mine - but I do allow Nigel to inspire me from time to time).  I chose leftover bits of reds and oranges, with a dash of black and white thrown in - like the album cover.


I started this one back at the beginning of May, but the weather turned very (very, very) warm shortly afterwards and the colours looked too hot to handle, so it's been left to languish.

To remedy this I started a shawlette called Wingspan (that's a Ravelry link).  It's quite a clever pattern, working in short rows, eight wedges are made in a semi-circular fashion.  The yarn is Jawoll Magic 6-ply, a superwash sport weight sock yarn.  It took almost exactly one skein, I only had two or three meters left over. 


I loved the yarn when I saw it in the shop, it reminded me of something from my childhood - possibly colours of ice creams, or sweeties - I'm not sure, but it was terribly appealing when I first saw it.
Oddly, after finishing the piece, I decided it was truly hideous - too many colours combined with too many wedge points.  This yarn may need a different destiny at some time in the future.

My most recent project started was the Beekeeper's Quilt.  This is an utterly addictive pattern - just tiny little knitted "hexi-puffs" - that are later (much later) tufted together.

This projected has taken off in the Ravelry world, there are more than 3800 knitters (just through Ravelry) that are currently working on this pattern, and another nearly 5000 that have it in their "queue".  So far, I've been using up scraps of yarn in pinks and greens and have made about 40 or so.  I estimate that to make a bed sized quilt I'm going to need between 400 and 500.  Does that sound like a lot? 

1 comment:

Nigel said...

Awesome scarf!!! Slanted and Enchanted is one of the greatest albums of all time! Although it's probably my favourite album, I don't play it much any more (mainly because I've already played it about a billion times). Pitchfork rated it the 5th best album of the 1990s and Rolling Stone rated it the 134th greatest album of all time (so it's clearly under-rated). I look forward to the Crooked Rain Crooked Rain mittens!