Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday So Soon?

Honestly, I truly believe every Friday afternoon that I'll post two or three times the following week, but it's just not happening...

...next week, promise.

This week has been one of those times where one feels as though they are madly working, but yet accomplishing nothing. I suspect it's because I really, really messed up the computer - who knew how much my life revolved around this thing?

If you'll recall from the last few posts, I've been working on making my own knitting pattern to publish here on my blog, and while I've finished the knitting of the prototype, I haven't actually written it into a document. Ooo ... I had such great plans, remember, I was going to think of a title (easy to do), learn how to add photos to a word document (probably straightforward), and write it up in a swish font?

Yes, it's that last one that was the harbinger of evil.

Who knew that looking through those "free fonts" sites would land our poor computer with a virus? Clearly, not I.

I mean, don't other people do this? No?

To make it all the more humiliating, Nigel sought advice from the tech department at work, but they're not buying the font story (as in, nobody's so stupid as to visit those sites) and the word out is that Nigel was up to something sleazy and/or deviant (not likely!). Hopefully, the computer will be right as rain soon enough.

So, this week I'm writing from the Macbook. which means no photos and no links to YouTube (I don't know how to do that on the Mac).

But don't despair!

I've got something sort of like a Friday Find for you - a recipe!

These are wee Ian's favourite cookie, and the recipe comes from a cookbook my Mum has had since the early days of married life (that's going back about 50 years - oh dear, in fact, it's more than 50 years).

Ginger Sparklers

3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar - I always use Demerrara Brown Sugar, it has more molasses
1/4 cup molasses - I always use fancy molasses
1 large egg
2 cups flour - I always use unbleached white
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
white sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream together butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg until light and fluffy. Measure flour, soda, salt and spices into a bowl and whisk together gently to blend. Stir into creamed mixture until blended and shape into balls (about 1 1/4 inch in diameter). Roll in sugar and place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool slightly, remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.

They are crackly on the outside and soft and spicy inside - divine!

2 comments:

martiangirl said...

Those cookies sound amazing. They're making me hungry, but it's just about dinner time here anway. Too bad about your computer.
My varification word is reque, sounds french.

ian said...

Mmmmmm... I remember ginger sparklers. Very yummy!!